Have you ever wondered why some people truly feel happy, calm, focused, composed, and well-adjusted? Or why others, for no apparent reason, feel depressed, anxious, apathetic, and reluctant to engage life fully? Here at Natural Balance Wellness, we see and successfully treat this common damper on quality life every day.
For better understanding of how our clinic approaches Neuro-chemical balance and rehab, please read our full article on the subject from our topics library:
New Patient Process
1. New Patient Phone Consultation- Call our office to schedule a 20-minute meet and greet consultation with one of our doctors. The purpose of this meeting is hear your story initially and briefly tell you how we approach mood and memory problems and neuro-chemical rehab from a functional medicine perspective. Once you decide to proceed with the program, charges for this initial phone meeting with one of our doctors will be credited toward your In-person History & Physical Exam visit described below.
2. In-person History & Physical Exam (60 min)- The purpose of this face-to-face visit is to officially establish the doctor-patient relationship, undergo a complete history and physical exam, and to decide what testing is needed.
Typical testing for this program might include:
- HPA (Adrenal) profile with Neurotransmitters - this test looks at both adrenal function and neurotransmitter levels through saliva and urine testing. Adrenal function and neurotransmitters are very closely connected in their physiology so it is important to test both to understand your complete picture.
- Urine Nutritional Metabolites and Organic Acids - this test is a urine sample that looks at metabolites of vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and neurotransmitters. Many basic nutritional deficiencies can lead to mood and memory problems. Therefore, correcting such imbalances first can allow for greater success when initiating neuro-chemical rehab protocols.
- HIRREM (optional)- Imbalances in the nervous system can present with sleep disturbance as well. HIRREM evaluates the balance between the right and left side of your brain i.e. balance between your parasympathetic (rest and digest) and sympathetic (fight or flight) nervous system. This modality is both a screening as well as therapeutic tool to help bring you back into balance. For more information regarding HIRREM, please visit our page here.
- Comprehensive Blood Testing - If you have already had recent blood work, we will review what you have already. Important blood work for evaluating neurotransmitter function include CBC, CMP, cholesterol, thyroid function studies, B12, folate, and iron studies.
If something concerning is flagged on these initial tests or during our initial discussion, we may need to order additional testing.
3. Lab Review (40-60 min)- After all your testing is in, we will discuss the findings and put together your treatment plan which might include, nutritional supplements, amino-acid therapy, neurofeedback, sleep hygiene, dietary, lifestyle, emotional support, and/or other holistic interventions.
4. Follow up appointments (20 min)- While you work with our clinic, you will have an appointment approximately every 4 weeks initially for the first 4-5 months while we proceed through the steps of nutritional and neuro-chemical rehabilitation. This is for your safety and to ensure that you are tolerating all of the supplements and for us to provide guidance and coaching. Of course if you need to see us anytime sooner than your scheduled appointment, you may always schedule to see us. We are here for you!
After you are on all the supplements, we give your body time to repair. At this time, we do not require follow-up but should any concerns or issues come up, we are always here for you and want to see you.
5. Discharge appointments (20-30 min)- Once we have successfully rehabilitated your neurotransmitters, you will be taken off supplements and amino-acid therapy in a structured manner. Upon discharge we will provide longer-term discharge instructions which include dietary, lifestyle modifications and periodic supplementation protocols if indicated.
Most patients take at least a 12-16 months to properly rehabilitate their neurotransmitters. It does take time, but we want to make sure we do it right so that you sustain all of the improvements you make with our clinic!
Understanding Our Clinic Policies
Our clinic policies deserve a section all to itself and includes important information about working with our clinic, refund policies, payment information, cancellation policies, etc. We request that all new patients review this material prior to enrolling with our clinic.
Billing Process: As a medical center, it is our sincere intention that your visit be recognized by insurance AND qualify for reimbursement based on your “out-of network” benefits. Our clinic’s ability to provide superbills for your visit and utilize insurance for testing is why we are able to save patients thousands of dollars compared to other practices run by limited license clinicians such as chiropractors, naturopathic doctors, acupuncturist, etc. That said, we are unable to guarantee your insurance will reimburse your visits. Nor can we project how much reimbursement you might receive.
For general pricing information, please see the table below. We do offer follow-up visits via phone/video conference as a convenient way for you to still reach your health goals without feeling like you have to take a lot of time out of your schedule to drive and see us. We have patients all over the state and country who love our clinic for this!
Please note: the times below include preparation and post counseling with the nurse or clinical assistant, as well as direct collaboration with our physicians or clinicians.
We Are Here to Help You!
On behalf of the Natural Balance Team, we hope you have found this information helpful and we look forward to working with you!
To schedule your New Patient appointment or if you have any questions, please contact Lili Boggess at 734-929-2696, extension 11.