When we are deprived of quality sleep it can severely impact our physical and psychological well being. While no branch of science or medicine fully understand everything about sleep, we do know all humans and animals require it. Requirements of course vary based on our activities, age, and state of health. Usually mild to moderate sleep loss, or even lack of restorative sleep is not always obvious. However, overtime, such sleep deprivation can severely erode one’s health. In fact, research consistently demonstrates that chronic sleep interruption, or lack of restorative sleep, increases stress hormones, destabilizes blood sugar, interrupts cell and tissue repair mechanisms and decreases growth hormone as well as other hormones critical to health at all ages. In such cases, the body does its best to make up for lost sleep by “up regulating” itself, which in turn leads to a vicious cycle of over stimulation, metabolic overdrive, catabolic breakdown, and collapse of all the feel good neurochemicals in the brain that allows a person to be happy, calm, well adjusted, focused, and productive. At Natural Balance, we understand that sleep deprivation can severely impact quality of life of our patients because we see and successfully treat this EVERYDAY with a variety of alternative approaches. There is hope!
For better understanding of how our clinic approaches sleep issues of all kinds, we recommend the following articles from our topics library:
New Patient Process
1. New Patient Phone Consultation- Call our office to schedule a 20-minute meet and greet consultation with one of our doctors. The purpose of this meeting is hear your story initially and briefly tell you how we approach sleep disturbances from a functional medicine perspective. If you decide to proceed with our program, charges for the initial phone meeting will be credited toward the History & Physical Exam.
2. In-person History & Physical Exam (60 min)- The purpose of this face-to-face visit is to establish the doctor-patient relationship, undergo a complete history and physical exam, and to decide what testing is needed.
Typical testing for this program might include:
- In-Home Sleep Study- The purpose of the in home sleep study is to make you as comfortable as possible in your own environment. Often times, sleep studies conducted in labs may miss potential apnea since you might not even fall asleep due to being in an unfamiliar environment. If you already have had a sleep study done, we can discuss those results as well.
- Adrenal/Neurotransmitter testing (optional)- Depending on your history and presentation, adrenal/neurotransmitter imbalances can present with sleep disturbances. This test looks at your salivary cortisol levels as well as neurotransmitter metabolites.
HIRREM (optional)- Imbalances in the nervous system can present with sleep disturbance as well. HIRREM evaluates the balance between the right and left side of your brain i.e. balance between your parasympathetic (rest and digest) and sympathetic (fight or flight) nervous system. This modality is both a screening as well as therapeutic tool to help bring you back into balance. For more information regarding HIRREM, please visit our page here.
If something concerning is flagged on these initial tests or during our initial discussion, we may need to order additional testing depending on what is found.
3. Lab Review (40 min)- After all your testing is in, we will discuss the findings and put together your treatment plan which might includes, sleep hygiene, oxygen monitoring, referral for alternative airway assistance, dietary, lifestyle, and/or nutraceutical interventions.
- If sleep apnea is diagnosed, we will review all of the conventional and alternative approaches available through our clinic.
- If neurotransmitter/adrenal issues are identified, we will plan out a rehabilitative process to improve sleep neurochemistry. Please visit our new patient process for neurotransmitters to better understand our rehabilitative approach.
- Since we are a holistic functional medicine practice, we also do not neglect the emotional issues that may accompany chronic sleep disturbances. We have two wonderful emotional release techniques offered in our clinic which we can discuss further if appropriate.If you would like more in-depth dietary recommendations, you may also schedule an appointment with our registered dietitian.
4. Follow up appointments (20-30 min)- While you work with our clinic, we will meet approximately once every two to three months initially to ensure you are tolerating the treatment modalities for sleep. If you are enrolling in the neurotransmitter program, follow-ups are approximately once a month. (Please visit our Neurotransmitter process) This is for your safety and to ensure that you are tolerating all of the supplements, trouble shoot any problems you may be having, and help provide any guidance and coaching. Of course if you need to see us anytime sooner than your scheduled appointment, you may always schedule to see us. We are here for you!
5. Discharge appointments (20-30 min)- When it comes time for you to discontinue active care with our clinic we will have one meeting where we will provide you with longer-term instructions and you will no longer be asked to follow up with us on a scheduled basis.
Understanding Our Clinic Policies
Our clinic polices deserve a section all to itself and includes important information about working with our clinic, refund policies, payment information, cancellation policies, etc. We request that all new patients review this material prior to enrolling with our clinic.
Billing Process: As a medical center, it is our intention that your visit be recognized by insurance AND qualify for reimbursement based on your “out-of network” benefits. Our clinic’s ability to provide superbills for your visit and utilize insurance for testing is why we are able to save patients thousands of dollars compared to other practices run by limited license clinicians such as chiropractors, naturopathic doctors, acupuncturist, etc. That said, we are unable to guarantee your insurance will reimburse your visits. Nor are we able to project how much reimbursement you will ultimately receive.
For general pricing information, please see the table below. We offer follow-up visits via phone or video as a convenient way for you to reach your health goals without feeling like you have to take a lot of time out of your schedule. We have patients all over the US and abroad who love our clinic for this!
Please note: the fee schedule below includes preparation and post counseling with our nurses or clinical assistants, as well as direct collaboration with our physicians or clinicians.
We Are Here to Help You!
On behalf of the Natural Balance Team, we hope you have found this information helpful and we look forward to working with you! To schedule your New Patient appointment or if you have any questions, please contact Lili Boggess at 734-929-2696, extension 11.