Functional Medicine & Wellness
Functional Medicine in Ann Arbor, Michigan
Natural Balance Wellness Medical Center offers specialized programs for any number of minor illnesses states or pre-clinical conditions. Patients who are looking for a personalized, functional medicine approach to less severe medical problems generally gravitate to our Functional Medicine Program.
Also, prevention-minded patients seeking individualized guidance regarding diet, lifestyle, and supplement recommendations would gravitate towards this program as well.
Note: The Functional & Wellness program is not for patients struggling with challenging and complex illness. For these individuals we recommend the more extensive testing and genetic susceptibility assessments offered in our Precision Medicine program.
1. Meet and Greet / Planning Session with Dr. Boggess (30 min): As a candidate for this program, you start the process by speaking with Dr. Boggess directly prior to fully enrolling. This is a no-obligation meeting billed as a 30 minute interactions. The purpose of this meeting is to briefly tell Dr. Boggess about your health goals and hear his initial thoughts about your case. At this point, no doctor-patient relationship is established, but rather the interaction allows you the opportunity to “pick Dr. Boggess’s brain” and consummate your decision to proceed with this program.
2. Phone intake with Dr. Basinger (30 min): At this point you will have completed all our new patient paperwork, consent forms, and online New Patient Questionnaire. The purpose of this intake will be to undergo a complete medical history and to “hear your story" fully, as well as get you started on initial labs (some labs, especially genetic testing, take up to 8 weeks to process, so it's ideal to start the lab submissions as soon as possible).
3. Video Lab-kit appointment with Leslie Goss, MHE (30 min): Leslie is our Masters Health Educator & Care Manager who assists with explaining diagnostic tests, many of which have specific instructions for collection as well as “hoops” for insurance coverage. Therefore, we schedule dedicated time to answer your questions and assist you with collecting specimens and submitting specimens and paperwork in a timely and efficient manner. We also use the opportunity to set up your computer for secure video consults and educational sessions when/if needed based on your local and preferences.
4. In-Office Physical Exam with Dr. Boggess (30 min): This visit includes doing a complete physical exam and review of the below assessments. It allows further opportunity to decide if there is need for any further testing.
5. Cellular Hydration/Phase Angle Assessment: Total body hydration and electrolyte imbalance is a primary concern with many patients. If the body is not optimally hydrated at the cellular level, it is difficult to efficiently absorb and assimilate nutrients as well as remove toxins. Using a bio-impedance analyzer (BIA), we collect various electrical parameters that reveal the water content inside and outside of the cells versus fat, muscle, bone mineralization, and soft tissue status. This information allows us to further tailor an individualized hydration and nutrient replenishment plan for each individual, which often gets patients feeling better quickly.
6. Teaching Session with Dr. Boggess/Dr. Basinger, Video or In-Person (60 min): At Natural Balance, we have a passion for empowering patients with insights and understanding. During this session, we will be covering cutting-edge theories about functional medicine as they apply to your specific goals. The session will also create a solid frame of reference to help you understand the labs we have ordered for you. Patients are encouraged to invite significant others.
7. Post-Lab support visit with Leslie (20 min): for further advising, education & coordinating. These meetings are intended to reiterate information reviewed during your initial visit and your lab review and will serve to assist you in getting the most out of your wellness plan with our clinic.
Please Note: The total time with our doctors for the new patient appointments is typically 2.5 hours total. However, depending on your specific situation the doctor might need to schedule additional time to finalize your New Patient intake. The extra time will be charged at our New patient rate ($450/hr), prorated to the amount of additional time needed.
We may consider booking a more in-depth Dietary/Lifestyle Assessment with Leslie Goss (MHE), our Master Health Educator. We truly believe in a comprehensive approach to wellness, and looking at the individual as a whole. If you choose to do so, Leslie will be working with our doctors to help educate you on how to support your medical treatment.
Our Brain Health Center is well known for assessing and treating brain- and mood-related conditions from a holistic perspective. We use HIRREM (high-resolution, relational, resonance-based, electroencephalic mirroring) to look at the brain’s electrical activity. This study allows us to evaluate the brain’s ability to relax and balance and helps to determine if you are a candidate for certain protocols we offer.
Once you have completed the New Patient Process and your tests are completed, our doctors and clinical team will be teaching you how to interpret your labs and will develop a plan specific to your needs. The results will be fully explained, summarized, and dictated, and you will be given a copy of all reports and impressions. The doctors will also develop, in partnership with you, a fully outlined treatment plan, including logical ordering of protocols, estimated time frames, etc. By the time you have finished your Lab Review session(s), you will have a full understanding of your labs, current state of health, and the clinical process that lies ahead.
The one-on-one Lab Review sessions for this program typically take 1.5 to 2 hours in total, over the course of 2 visits, depending on the situation and how many labs are being reviewed. Those appointments are billed at $450/hr prorated to the time of the appointment.
Please watch this abbreviated video of Dr. Boggess with a patient during a one-on-one Lab Review to better understand the process.
After completing the Lab Review process, the time frame and hourly rates switch to our standard follow-up fee schedule ($380/hr)) and are generally 10-30 minutes every 4-12 weeks, depending on the situation. This is to ensure that you are tolerating all of the supplements, to discuss any problems you may be having, and to provide guidance and coaching. Once we have successfully finished all pre-planned protocols, you will be taken off supplements in a structured manner. We will meet one more time to see how you are doing and provide long-term discharge instructions, including dietary and lifestyle modifications and periodic supplementation protocols if indicated for your genetics and long-term preventative strategy.
Natural Balance Wellness Medical Center is out-of-network for ALL insurances. We are happy to provide you with an itemized superbill for qualified encounter with the appropriate codes to submit to your insurance for reimbursement to you directly. However, please understand that we have literally given up trying to figure out the whims of insurance and cannot guarantee you will be reimbursed. For your reference, we have included the codes and pricing we use for the New Patient appointment, follow-up visits, phone consults, etc. to assist you with checking with your insurance company ahead of time if you wish.
A Note Regarding Visits: The times below for follow-up visits include preparation and post-counseling with the clinical assistants, as well as direct collaboration with our clinicians. At Natural Balance, we bill based on decisions, complexity and relative value (RVU) rather than "time."
Your supper-bills will have the following codes.
New Patient - Functional Medicine Program ($1405):
|N/A||Meet & Greet (non-billable)||$225|
|99205||New Patient Visit (History & Physical)||$450|
|99215||Follow-Up (60 min)||$450|
|98960 (x2)||Health Educator||$65, $65|
|N/A||Hydration Test (non-billable)||$50|
Please note, this initial investment DOES NOT include any Testing or Visits to Review Labs.
Medical Office Visit to review lab (example of a 90-minute lab review appointment)
|99215||Comprehensive Lab Review||$450|
|99354||Comprehensive Lab Review -extra time.||$225|
A typical appointment to review labs with the Functional Medicine Program is anywhere between 40 min to 2 hrs, depending on the complexity of your case and how many labs we are ordering.
Follow up visits for established patients (in-office appointment)
|99215||Comprehensive Planning or Lab Visit, Level 5||$380|
|99215||Extended Planning or Lab Visit, Level 5||$295|
|99214||Basic Planning or Lab Visit, Level 4||$230|
|99213||Follow Up, Level 3||$160|
|99212||Simple, Level 2||$105|
Remember that a follow up is typically only 20 to 30 min.
Follow up visit (over the phone appointment)
|99443||Comprehensive Planning or Lab Visit, Level 5||$380|
|99443||Extended Planning or Lab Visit, Level 5||$295|
|99443||Basic Planning or Lab Visit, Level 4||$230|
|99443||Follow Up, Level 3||$160|
|99443||Simple, Level 2||$105|
Billing Process: As a medical center, it is our sincere intention that your visit be recognized by insurance AND qualify for reimbursement based on your out-of-network benefits. Our clinic’s ability to provide superbills for your visit and utilize insurance for testing is why we are able to save patients thousands of dollars compared to other practices run by limited license clinicians such as chiropractors, naturopathic doctors, acupuncturists, etc. That said, we are unable to guarantee that your insurance will reimburse your visits, nor can we project how much reimbursement you might receive. Please consult with your insurance company directly.
|“Simple” Check-up on a particular protocol without further instructions or decisions. Patient or staff requested a simple visit to solve a problem that cannot be solved by a clinical assistant without a doctor. This also included DBS follow up visits.|
|“Follow up”: Review response to existing protocol, troubleshoot if needed, update Review of Systems (ROS), provide and explain next steps, answer questions.|
|“Basic Planning or Lab Visit”: Multilevel decision making required. Creating a new ROS. If re-testing, 1 or 2 simple labs are reviewed, explained and documented. Wrapping up a previous protocol, establishing and explaining a new protocol, etc.|
|“Extended Planning or Lab Visit”: Same as Level 4, but more extended / higher complexity. If re-testing, 1 complex, multi-page lab OR multiple simple labs reviewed, explained and documented.|
|“Extensive Planning or Lab Visit”: Same as Level 5 Extended Planning or Lab Visit, but more extensive / higher complexity / more time spent. Typically used when reviewing and documenting multiple labs OR re-establishing care. This level of visit is rare for an established patient undergoing follow up visits or lab reviews.|
Understanding Our Clinic Policies
Our clinic policies include important information about working with our clinic, refund policies, payment information, cancellation policies, etc. We request that all new patients review this material prior to enrolling with our clinic.