Mold (Biotoxin Illness) Treatment in Ann Arbor, MI
Treatment for Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome (CIRS) Related to Mold Exposure
Our clinic takes a unique approach in the treatment of biotoxin illness/CIRS. For patients who suspect they have become ill as a result of mold exposure and who wish to undergo a comprehensive evaluation and treatment, the following program has proven to be invaluable for our patients in their recovery.
1) Precision/Biotoxin Program:
The appeal of this program lies in our team's all-out effort to find the root cause answers to your symptoms and determine if inflammation resulting from mold exposure is the primary cause vs. being a secondary stressor to a more complex underlying issue. We offer this program because over the years we have seen many patients who had much more going on than mold and found it to be very inefficient and costly to discover and treat after the fact.
For some patients, mold exposure is a deadly event that needs to first and foremost be the focus because of who they are genetically. If this proves to be the case, we will refer you to a Biotoxin expert for further treatment in the Shoemaker protocol. We do not offer the Shoemaker protocol at Natural Balance.
For most patients, however, mold is the "straw that broke the camels back" so to speak. In these patients, we need to address other genetic weaknesses and underlying health problems first. As we strengthen the body's constitution, we have found clinically, the stressor of mold no longer triggers the immune system as it did prior. Therefore our Precision Biotoxin Program, much like our Precision Medical Program is the most comprehensive and cost effective way to fully evaluate complex and genetically susceptible patients in order to determine the ideal order in which to address all problems identified, including mold toxicity.
First, Watch Our New Patient Video
Learn More About Precision Medicine
Introduction to CIRS (A form of Biotoxin Illness)
The option to get started with our clinic for Biotoxin assessment is:
The program to become a new patient includes:
1. Phone - "Meet and Greet" Session with Dr. Boggess (30 min): Prior to this appointment with Dr. Boggess, you’ll be asked to watch our introductory videos but you will not have completed our online New Patient Questionnaire. The purpose of this meeting is to briefly tell Dr. Boggess about your health concerns and hear his initial thoughts about your case. We are confident that once you speak with Dr. Boggess you will be sold on our approach! However, if for some reason you decide you don't want to proceed with our clinic, you may cancel the remaining of the New Patient Bundle, and will only be charged for this consultation ($225).
2. Phone intake with Dr. Boggess (60 min): At this point you will have filled up all our new patient paperwork. During this appointment we will do a complete medical history and will “hear your story,” as well as get you started on initial labs (some labs can take up to 8 weeks to get the results).
3. Videoconference with one of our doctors - One on One teaching session (60 min): At Natural Balance, we have a passion for empowering patients with insights and understanding. During this session, he/she will be sharing their insights about your case. The doctor will also be covering cutting edge theories about genomics, precision medicine, and teach you how our testing and tools will help us figure out your medical puzzle.
4 Lab-Kits video conference with Leslie, our Health Care Educator (30 min): Many of the diagnostic test we order have very specific instructions for collection as well as instructions required for insurance coverage. Therefore we set aside dedicated time to answer all your questions and assist you with collecting your specimens and submitting your paperwork in a timely and efficient manner.
5. Brainwave, EEG Assessment and basic session (30 min): Our Brain Health Center is well-known for assessing and treating brain- and mood-related conditions from a holistic perspective. We use HIRREM (High-resolution, relational, resonance-based, electroencephalic mirroring) to look at the brain’s electrical activity. This study allows us to evaluate the brain’s ability to relax and balance and helps to determine if you are a candidate for certain protocols we offer early on in the treatment process with our clinic.
6. In-person office visit with Dr. Boggess (60 min): This visit includes a phase angle test and a complete physical exam. We will perform a VCS test, as well as Marcons swab (you will mail this sample yourself, along with an $85 payment to the lab directly). If we draw blood at this visit there is a $45 additional fee. Your lab review will take place about 6-8 weeks after you have submitted your tests (see details below).
7. Dietary, Emotional, Lifestyle Assessment with our Leslie Goss (MHE) (60 min): At Natural Balance, we offer an interdisciplinary team approach to our patients. After your physical exam, you will be meeting our register dietitian for pertinent lifestyle and dietary instructions as per your individual needs, and overall health concerns. We also take time to assess your emotional status as a way to treat the whole person. The visit can be either in-person or via videoconference as per your preference and local.
8. (2) Additional phone meetings with Leslie (30 min ea.): These meeting are intended to reiterate information reviewed during your initial visits and lab reviews and will serve to assist you with getting the most out of your treatment plans with Dr. Boggess and Dr. Soorya.
Please note: The price includes the visits described above. The price DOES NOT include any testing, visits to review lab results, or future follow-up appointments. Those are billed at our standard physician hourly rates (see below for details).
What to Expect After the New Patient Appointments (New Patient Bundle)
Once you have completed the New Patient Process, you will be ready to review the results in about 6 to 8 weeks. If you have enrolled in the "Biotoxin Assessment Program", you will meet with our doctor for 1 to 2 hours to review your labs. The doctor will assess if there are some basic treatments we need to do to stabilize your body before creating the referral to Dr. Berry for Biotoxin treatment.
If you have enrolled in our "Precision/Biotoxin Program", the one-on-one Lab Review sessions typically take 2 to 4 hours in total, over the course of 1 to 3 visits, depending on the complexity of the situation and how many labs are being reviewed. Our doctors and clinical team will be teaching you how to interpret your labs and genetics. The results will be fully summarized, and dictated, and you will be given a copy of all our reports and impressions. They will also develop, in partnership with you, a fully outlined treatment plan, including logical ordering of protocols, estimated time frames, etc. By the time you have finished your Lab Review session(s), you will have a full understanding of your labs, genetic predispositions, current state of health, and the treatment process that lies ahead, including at what point we will want you to work with Dr. Berry on Biotoxin specific/Shoemaker protocols. Consultations with Dr. Berry can be made at any point, specially if you need coaching getting out of your moldy environment.
The lab visits are billed hourly, at $450/hr, prorated to the length of time spent with the doctor.
Please watch this abbreviated video of Dr. Boggess with a patient during a one-on-one Lab Review to better understand the value of our "Precision/Biotoxin" Process.
Our clinic works closely with our Precision/Biotoxin patients for approximately 1 to 3 years, depending on the complexity of the situation. You will receive a written summary of all labs and suggested protocols at the completion of all one-on-one Lab Review sessions, as well as estimated time frame to accomplish our treatment goals.
Our job is to rehabilitate your health and return you to “natural balance.” Hence, the nutraceuticals/supplements we prescribe are not meant to be taken long term. They are given in an aggressive YET careful, systematic way for a predetermined timeframe before moving to other protocols. In other words, the order in which things are rehabilitated, and the degree to which a reliable foundation is laid, is the key to our success.
We do not get involved in litigation, depositions, workman’s compensation claims, medical disability claims, or writing for any work restrictions. Therefore, if you are seeking medico-legal support, our office will not be able to assist you but can refer you to an out-of-state Surviving Mold physician who does offer such services. We are more than happy to continue to treat you from a medical perspective.
Natural Balance Wellness Medical Center is out-of-network for ALL insurances. We are happy to provide you with an itemized superbill for every encounter with the appropriate codes to submit to your insurance for reimbursement to you directly. However, please understand that we have literally given up trying to figure out the whims of insurance and cannot guarantee you will be reimbursed. For your reference, we have included the codes and pricing we use for the New Patient Bundle and follow-up visits, phone consults, etc. to assist you with checking with your insurance company ahead of time if you wish.
A Note Regarding Visits: The times below for follow-up visits include preparation and post-counseling with the nurse or clinical assistant, as well as direct collaboration with our physicians or clinicians.
The program includes all the items listed on this page. The super bill will have the following codes.
New Patient Precision/Biotoxin Medicine Program ($2469):
|99205||New Patient Visit||$450.00|
|99354||Medical Office Visit -extra time||$945.00|
|VCS Test (No code)||$18|
Please note, the above New Patient Program DO NOT include any Testing or Visits to Review Labs.
The following price list will apply to any Lab Review visits or Follow ups.
Visits to Review Labs (example of a 90 minute Lab Review appointment)
|99215||Medical Office Visit||$450.00|
|99354||Medical Office Visit -extra time||$225.00|
Follow up visits (in office appointment)
|99215||Comprehensive Planning or Lab Visit, Level 5||$380|
|99215||Extended Planning or Lab Visit, Level 5||$295|
|99214||Basic Planning or Lab Visit, Level 4||$230|
|99213||Follow Up, Level 3||$160|
|99212||Simple, Level 2||$105|
Remember that a follow up is typically only 20 to 30 min.
Follow up visit (over the phone appointment)
|99443||Comprehensive Planning or Lab Visit, Level 5||$380.00|
|99443||Extended Planning or Lab Visit, Level 5||$295.00|
|99443||Basic Planning or Lab Visit, Level 4||$230.00|
|99443||Follow Up, Level 3||$160.00|
|99443||Simple, Level 2||$105.00|
The following CIRS tests are NOT covered by any insurances (prices noted):
- VCS test in-office: $18
- API-Staph Nasal Culture for MARCoNS Test: $85, results in 2 weeks
Pricing for blood testing is not directly available through Natural Balance for LabCorp and St. Joe’s labs due to fluctuations in the pricing that are outside of our control, as well as the unpredictability if insurance will cover your testing.
Please note: The Shoemaker Protocol calls for using specific laboratories based on Dr. Shoemaker’s research. This includes the specific laboratories used for ERMI/HERSTMI-2 testing, blood draws, VCS testing, and nasal cultures. In particular, Dr. Shoemaker has seen erroneous results when other laboratories were used. Therefore, it is imperative that patients use the laboratories at the specific locations our clinic recommends. Reference: www.survivingmold.com
Billing Process: As a medical center, it is our sincere intention that your visit be recognized by insurance AND qualify for reimbursement based on your out-of-network benefits. Our clinic’s ability to provide superbills for your visit and utilize insurance for testing is why we are able to save patients thousands of dollars compared to other practices run by limited license clinicians such as chiropractors, naturopathic doctors, acupuncturists, etc. That said, we are unable to guarantee that your insurance will reimburse your visits, nor can we project how much reimbursement you might receive.
|“Simple” Check-up on a particular protocol without further instructions or decisions. Patient or staff requested a simple visit to solve a problem that cannot be solved by a clinical assistant without a doctor. This also included DBS follow up visits.|
|“Follow up”: Review response to existing protocol, troubleshoot if needed, update Review of Systems (ROS), provide and explain next steps, answer questions.|
|“Basic Planning or Lab Visit”: Multilevel decision making required. Creating a new ROS. If re-testing, 1 or 2 simple labs are reviewed, explained and documented. Wrapping up a previous protocol, establishing and explaining a new protocol, etc.|
|“Extended Planning or Lab Visit”: Same as Level 4, but more extended / higher complexity. If re-testing, 1 complex, multi-page lab OR multiple simple labs reviewed, explained and documented.|
|“Extensive Planning or Lab Visit”: Same as Level 5 Extended Planning or Lab Visit, but more extensive / higher complexity / more time spent. Typically used when reviewing and documenting multiple labs OR re-establishing care. This level of visit is rare for an established patient undergoing follow up visits or lab reviews.|